Tuesday, September 20, 2011

~ Leedle Yawcob Strauss ~

I haf von funny leedle poy
Vot gomes shust to my knee,--
Der queerest schap, der queerest rouge
As efer you dit see.
He runs, und schumps, und schmashes
Dings
In all barts off der house.
But vot off dot? He vas my son,
Mine leedle Yawcob Strauss.

He gets der measles und der mumbs,
Und eferyding dot’s oudt;
He sbills mine glass off lager bier,
Poots schnuff indo mine kraut;
He fills mine pipe mit Limburg cheese--
Dot vas der roughest chouse;
I’d dake dot vrom no oder poy
But leedle Yawcob Strauss.

He dakes der milkban for a dhrum,
Und cuts mine cane in dwo
To make der schticks to beat it mit--
Mine cracious, dot vas drue!
I dinks mine hed vas schplit abart
He kicks oup sooch a touse;
But nefer mind, der poys vas few
Like dot young Yawcob Strauss.

He asks me questions sooch as dese:
Who baints mine nose so red?
Who vas it cuts dot schmoodth blace
Oudt
Vroom der hair ubon my head?
Und vhere der plaze goes vroom der
Lamp
Vene’er der glim I douse?
How gan I all dese dings eggsplain
To dot schmall Yawcob Strauss?

I somedimes dink I schall go vild
Mit sooch a grazy poy,
Und vish vonce more I gould haf rest
Und beaceful dimes enshoy.
But ven he vas asleep in ped,
So quiet as a mouse,
I prays der Lord, “Dake anydings,
But leaf dot Yawcob Strauss.”

~ Charles F. Adams



This is by far one of my favorite poems and I felt the need to share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment